Schedules of the Pillars of Health® Courses
Schedules of the Basic Courses PH1-PH7 and Continuation Courses PH8-PH9 in 2016-2017:
PH 1 Sept. 17-18, 2016
PH 8 Sept. 24-25, 2016
PH 2 Oct. 29-30, 2016
PH 3 Nov. 26-27, 2016
PH 9 Dec. 10-11, 2016
PH 4 Jan. 14-15, 2017
PH 5 Feb. 11-12, 2017
PH 6 Mar. 18-19, 2017
PH 7 Apr. 22-23, 2017
Schedules of the Courses in 2017-2018:
PH 1 Sept. 16-17, 2017
PH 8 Sept. 23-24, 2017
PH 2 Oct. 28-29, 2017
PH 3 Dec. 9-10, 2017
Contents of the Pillars of Health® Courses PH1-PH9
PH 1 Pillars of Health – The Journey to Health and Wellbeing Starts Now!
- Introduction to the PH courses
- Functional viewpoint of health
- Individuality – what on earth is it?
- Why do we eat?
- Food, food – but what kind of food?
- Proteins, carbohydrates, fats
- Impact of pesticides, heavy metals, environmental toxins, additives and preservatives on health
PH 2 Gut – Cradle of Health or Dwelling Place of Diseases?
And What about the Liver – the Gut’s Important Partner?
- Gut – the most important of the organs?
- Digestion and absorption of nutrients – a complicated process in a simple way
- What happens in stomach, small bowel and large bowel?
- You are mostly composed of microbes
- The huge significance of microbes for health and wellbeing
- Gut troubles – what could be done about them:
- Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)
- The impressive detoxification system of the liver
PH 3 A & B
How to Obtain Strong Immunity?
- ABC of creating a strong immune defense
The Brain Is Hungry
- What kind of food does the brain want?
- What does it not like?
- What should be definitely avoided?
- Does your mood fluctuate – is there a risk of depression?
- How to get rid of insomnia
PH 4 Magic of Hormones
- Hormones – what are they, what are they made of, what are they needed for?
What are the most important hormones in the body? You guessed wrong…
- Hormone balance is the key to happiness
- Disturbed insulin metabolism behind many problems
- Do you suffer from PMS troubles? Treatment of PMS
- Long lasting stress may at its worst result in adrenal fatigue
- Are you gaining weight although you eat like a bird?
- Thyroid – incredible organ
- Thyroid function, hypothyroidism and treatment
- Importance of iodine for the organs
- Time for questions
PH 5 A & B
Chronic Silent Inflammation – Help!
- Chronic silent inflammation is to be found behind almost all diseases
- How can you prevent chronic silent inflammation?
- Can it be measured?
- What if I have a chronic silent inflammation – what should I do?
Questions and Answers
So far you have already learnt a lot…
For once, there is time for questions – ask things that occupy your mind or are still unclear
PH 6 What Takes Place in the Cells of Your Body?
Basic Course on Cell Metabolism and Biochemistry
- This course takes us deep inside the cell
- We observe what takes place in the cell and why
- You get to understand how the cell functions and why it needs vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and fatty acids
- You learn how the hazardous substances can weaken the cell function and even kill the cell
- How do the nutrients get into the cell?
- And how do the waste products get out of the cell?
- What is the citric acid cycle and what is it needed for?
- Why are mitochondria so very important for our wellbeing?
- What would happen, if the mitochondria do not function well?
PH 7 ABC of Dietary Supplements – What, Why and When?
- Minerals and micronutrients
- Fatty acids
- Amino acids
- Dosing instructions
- Contraindications – when to avoid a specific dietary supplement?
PH 8 ABC of Dietary Supplements – Continuation Course
Significance, dosages and combinations of dietary supplements in view of different health problems and the wellbeing of the body:
- Wellbeing of the brain
- Wellbeing of the gut
- Sleep problems
PH 9 – Sport Nutrition, Migraine, Menopause and Artificial Sweeteners
- Sport nutrition – food as part of the sportsman’s comprehensive training
- Migraine – what factors lie behind migraine, what can be done and how to prevent the attacks in advance?
”Only those suffering from migraine can understand others having migraine” – this phrase is frequently heard, and it is true.
- Menopause – sweating, hot flashes, sleep disorders, heart sensations, vaginal dryness, swelling, mood changes, loss of interest in daily activities, poor concentration and irritability – help – what can be done? A lot – indeed. The course concentrates on female menopause and only touches on male menopause (andropause).
- Artificial sweeteners – what are they, how do they function, are they healthy or clearly hazardous?
Paula Heinonen, Lic.Sc. (Tech.) and expert in functional medicine
Hanna Kivimäki, FM Nutrition Coach®, M.Sc. (Health Sciences) and certified nutritional therapist
Leea Pelto, D.Sc. (Biochemistry) (PH6)
Food as part of the sportsman’s comprehensive training (PH9) is taught by Heikki Huovinen, MPhEd (with sports physiology as major), Hintsa Performance